October Snow

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Early Fall

Where did the time go. Where did the rain go? Finally got the rain though to little to late. Time? Well still can't figure where that goes.

The garden season was a good one for us. Investing in the fence was the best thing I could of done. I actually got enough tomatoes to do some canning along with making fresh sauce throughout late summer along with topping a bunch of wood fired pizzas and focaccia's with fresh tomatoes (made in the backyard brick oven of course!) gregkaraspizza.blogspot.com 











This year also gave us a bumper crop of basil, cucumbers, beans, squash, eggplant, and even some small pumpkins. Tomatillos and peppers are still going and I hope to make some salsa verde soon.




Now I have to get in gear and turn over the bed where the string beans were and plant some garlic. Jamie and I made a quick stop to the Farmer's Market in Shelton and I picked up some beautiful locally grown stiff neck organic garlic from Guy Beardsley. I like growing the stiff neck varieties for the early spring treats of garlic scapes. Just snip them off and saute them up. Similar to scallions but with a mild garlic flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment